- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 medium sized tomatoes roughly chopped – if you have soft tomatoes lying around in the house this is the perfect meal to prevent wastage!
- 1 large carrot (peeled and diced)
- 1 brown or red onion (diced)
- 400 gram can diced tomatoes
- 1 Ltr low salt chicken or vegetarian stock
- 1 tsp dried basil leaves
- Pepper to taste
- In a large pot warm the olive oil, then fry the onion and carrot for 5 minutes until the onion is browned and softened.
- Add the fresh tomato and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Next add the canned tomato and stock, and bring to boil.
- Season with pepper and basil leaves, allow the liquid to simmer gently for 40 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- Remove from heat and blend with a stick mixer until completely smooth.
Serve the soup with a bread roll on the side and a sprinkle of either fresh or dried basil on top